Monday, January 9, 2012

Made In Korea

Over the weekend, I stumbled upon some pictures of some stunningly gorgeous Korean wedding hanboks (hanboks are traditional Korean dresses worn mostly for special occasions). My kids are both Korean so we've been there twice and the last time we went, I broke down and got myself one. If I could remember where I stashed it when we got home, I would show you a picture but it's very traditional and looks something like this one:


I LOVE hanboks because they're so colorful and structural but they're not exactly the most flattering silhouette and don't seem to be as popular anymore but that may all change as it looks like there's a bit of a reinvention of the hanbok happening. There is a place in Seoul called wedding street that's lined with store after store selling beautiful wedding hanboks and I was so happy that the traffic was so atrociously bad because I got to drool from the taxi every time we drove by. It was the best window shopping ever but I had no idea they could be THIS beautiful. Sigh. I might have to fire up my sewing machine and jump on this. Hanboks are totally okay for Target, right?



I mean, just LOOK at these colors!





These are all wedding hanboks and it looks like pure confection.


The pleating on the right gown is giving me the vapors. I want to climb inside that dress and live in it like a hobo.



I love this. It's like Goth hanbok.


This was part of a spread from Vogue Korea. This layout is beyond beautiful.



This is a more modern length that seems to be gaining popularity. I think it's totally cute and I would totally wear one like this to dinner.


I added this because the ribbon detailing at the bodice is SO great.


~amy

1 comment:

  1. Stunning! Thank you for spotting and sharing this trend!!

    ReplyDelete

Awesome Inc. theme. Theme images by webphotographeer. Powered by Blogger.